This past October 2015, I proudly launched Moms Fight Back — a Colorado non-profit, which is focused intently on those most difficult issues confronting our children, our families, and our neighborhoods today. For me, the impetus to create Moms Fight Back was extremely personal – it was a… Read More4.18.2016 / Heidi Ganahl
If your teen is pregnant or is responsible for a pregnancy:
- Remain calm, safe, and loving to your teen – listen to them openly.
- Find out if the father knows and if his parents know.
- Take some time to consider all the options available and seek professional guidance if you can.
- Find a doctor and a counselor to work with you, your daughter and your family through the coming months.
- Create a support system for your teen, and one for yourself as family dynamics change.
These are the facts...
On average more than 18 babies are born each day to teens in Colorado – or approximately 1 baby born every hour and a half. Teen mothers have lower incidences of high school graduation with more than 50% dropping out. Less than 2% of teen moms will earn a college degree by the age of 30.
Between 1991 and 2013, the teen birth rate declined 57% nationwide declining in all 50 states and among all racial and ethnic groups. This is the good news but, teens are still getting pregnant and having to utilize public assistance resources at a substantial cost to the public…. Read More8.27.2015 / Heidi Ganahl
You can Fight Back in 5 right now by taking the Dating Pledge at loveisrespect.org Take the dating pledge and promise to have healthy, safe relationships free from violence and free from fear. Then, share the pledge with your partners, friends and family because everyone has the right… Read More7.2.2014 / Heidi Ganahl